Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

gas block hitting handguard

meanzbullet

My rifle has an SLR hand guard and the SLR gas block. They are made to work together but the fit is extremely tight. The gas block seems to be hitting the handguard during firing. As long as this is consistent will it have an adverse affect on accuracy? I am asking because the rifle is fairly accurate but not a tac driver.

I don't know how the SLR handguard attaches and I am not sure where the two things contact each other but I am guessing contact is on the underside of the top of the rail and the top or the GB. Maybe if you reattach the handguard while applying some pressure upwards at the end of the handguard the deflection will help it some.

Give SLR a call. Sometimes the barrel-nut systems (of any mfg.) aren't perfectly cocentric with the barrel. They might just send you a new barrel Nut.

Personally, I'm with Shooter115!

Edited by BitchinCamaro

Definitely call SLR.

First, clear the rifle, then clear it again. Then take the upper off the lower and place the top rail on a flat surface. The hand guard should run even with the top rail of the upper receiver. if it doesn't, you will see it very easily.

If not aligned, remove the hand guard, reinstall, and using your flat surface, push down so upper and hand guard aligned - THEN tighten the bolts on the hand guard.

Mick

Watching... I have had the same issue. New series 7 Slr clamp on adj gb..a great piece of work btw...and the Slr ultra light 15 inch hg...Also a great piece...With GB properly aligned and adjusted, still some contact at hg at what appears to be gb nut heads and screw at tension flap nut at gb adjust area.btw .750 gb area.

My Dremel has been on the inside of the hg. Don't want to grind on screw heads...no easy access magnifier light and lense not easy to get in there. Not as much contact as it had at first but still some slight contact evident by pushing on bbl while holding hg...seems contact at lower and upper nuts.

If the contact is on the edge of the screw heads, grind away, as the allen wrench contacts the center of the screw. Even if contact is with top of screw, removing 10 or 20 thousands should not create an issue, as long as plenty of material is left for contact with allen wrench.

My Dremel has been on the inside of the hg. Don't want to grind on screw heads...no easy access magnifier light and lense not easy to get in there. Not as much contact as it had at first but still some slight contact evident by pushing on bbl while holding hg...seems contact at lower and upper nuts.

If you can push the handguard into the barrel with .080" clearance you should be looking into the cause of the flex.

Same set up, clamp on GB and ultra lite handguard. the rifle was assembled by SLR they are only a few miles from me. If work didn't always get in the way of my fun I would have already went by there. I wish I could get pictures of what I am talking about. maybe .080 is wrong, it is very close. It may not even be the problem but I want sub MOA and I can't seem to even get MOA. I am talking off a solid bench using a rest